We know these are challenging times and you are probably trying to ‘carry on as normal’ whilst doing your best to look after friends and family, but it is also important to look after your smile.
Here are some tips we want to share to help you maintain a healthy smile ready for the better times round the corner:
- Try to maintain a normal routine with regards to your brushing, i.e Brushing 2 x daily, 1 x in the am and then last thing before bed and encouraging children to maintain this also.
- Make sure you brush with a Fluoride toothpaste: Adults 1350ppm-1500ppm (fluoride), Children 6 years + can also use these concentrations, children 0-3 no less than 1000ppm and children 3-6 containing more than 1000ppm – for young children evidence from the delivering better oral health toolkit (brushing should commence when the first baby teeth have erupted).
- Make sure interdental aids are used at least 1 x daily (floss, tape, superfloss, tapes etc)- brushing only removes 60% of plaque from the tooth surface, therefore missing 40% so it is equally important to use these as it is to brush.
- If bleeding occurs then clean this area more thoroughly, as it is most likely you are missing the area in your oral hygiene routine. Bleeding is an early indicator of gum disease, most commonly through plaque accumulation. Therefore, you need to try and keep up with your oral hygiene as best as possible.
- It is also really important, that toothbrushes and toothbrush heads are changed every 3 months, as you would normally by this point. Any splayed bristles won’t be removing plaque, as effectively as they should be.
We hope this helps you with maintaining your healthy smile, remember you will need it for when we get through this time. If you have any questions head over to our Facebook page and message us. One of our team is always ready to answer any questions.
Stay safe and keep smiling.