Why I changed to Mercury free dentistry

Mercury is a powerful toxin.

  • The World Health Authority states that there is no safe level for mercury.
  • Silver filings contain up to 50% mercury.
  • Eating hot food, chewing and grinding, dramatically increases the level of mercury release.
  • The vapour is inhaled, ingested and absorbed through the mouth and lungs and passes into the bloodstream.
  • Scientific research shows that mercury lodges in the brain, heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, thyroid, pituitary gland, adrenal glands and red blood cells.
  • Mercury suppresses the immune system.
  • Mercury crosses the placenta and lodges in similar sites in the foetus.
  • Mercury can be present in higher concentrations in breast milk than in the blood.
  • There is a direct correlation between the size of the silver fillings and the mercury levels in the brain.
  • Recent research shows that mercury induces the normal oral and intestinal bacteria to become antibiotic resistant. This also happens to the bacteria in the gum pocket.

Mouth battery syndrome

Electric currents often develop between the various metals in fillings. Some researchers believe that this current can interfere with normal nerve transmission and may be an aggravating factor in the neurotransmitter diseases (e.g. multiple sclerosis).

We can measure the current and assess this electrical activity.

Do I need to remove all my silver fillings?

I do not recommend removal of sound restorations without good reason. If you feel that you may be experiencing problems with mercury an assessment should first be made.

However, when I replace restorations in future I will use mercury free alternatives.